Riding on an airplane in anticipation of meeting my Dad. We are going on a trip together- just the two of us! As I sit here thinking… other memories flood my mind. My 1st year at college- after 4 months of being away I’m going home for Christmas, riding several days in a crowded car with other students and finally waiting at a house for my Dad to arrive to take me home. I remember anxiously looking out the window, watching for the car to pull up, he steps out and I can’t wait any longer and run out to give him a big hug!
Again on my wedding day- as the reception is over, Steve and I are about to drive away and my Dad comes to the car window and asked me- If I was still his little girl. Of course Dad I always will be. Now I am 55 and my Dad is 79. The years are slipping by much too fast! I’m going on a trip with my Father and oh the memories we will make…
I love when a trip is spontaneous & you can stop whenever you want. We saw a sign for a Natural Bridge in Slade, KY. so we took the sky lift to see it
Dad and I on the edge of a cliff- holding tight :)
Court House in Lebanon, Va. where my parents got their marriage license.
‘Wampler’ is an uncommon name but not in this part of the Country!
Nickelsville, Va. where my Great Grandfather- Henry Morris Wampler was born and buried close by.
Coal mining is big in this part of Va. and so we found huge supporters of Romney!
My kids know I love Fall and can’t pass up an opportunity to get a pumpkin. I left this one with my mom in Nauvoo…
Locals pronounce it- Buck canan Co.
On to the Octoberfest where I had to try…
Presley cemetery- kneeling beside by G. Grandpa- Larkin Sykes grave
Tiller Town Cemetery- Andrea Belle was named after her Great G.ma Nora Belle
On to see my cousin Linda Lou- we had many fun times during our summer visits together!
On our way home we made a stop in Santa Claus, Indiana. When I asked how the town got it’s name they told me Santa Fe had already been taken so one night a young boy heard sleigh bells at church and they decided it must be ‘Santa Claus’
Biggest Christmas store I’ve ever seen…
close by was also Lincoln’s boyhood home so another quick stop!
My Dad and I both love split rail fences :)
Finally back in Nauvoo to enjoy a few days with my mom and the beautiful Fall leaves!
‘We shape our lives not by what we carry with us… but by what we leave behind!
10 comments:
That was a beautiful post Donna! My eyes are a little wet ;) You are really lucky to have such a wonderful parents...thanks for sharing them with us. <3
looks like you had a great time! dad's are pretty special :)
You do a terrific blog.
Wow. That looks like you had fun. The deep fried oreos have my mouth watering...
What an awesome memorable trip. When we stopped in Nauvoo on our trek to Oregon we asked a few people about your mom & dad. Then while we were eating we thought we saw your dad riding a bike down the street. We didn't catch up to him to ask. It's great to see them doing great.
Just looked at your blog and all I have to say is "WOW"!!! You are such an amazing lady. I am so glad that I was able to serve with you even if it was only for a short time. I loved looking at your blog and all the interesting places and things you have done with your family. You sure are making some wonderful memories.
I had talked to Linda about your visit down there and it brought back so many precious memories of times past. Steve had asked me a while back if I would like to go back down there and I first said “yes”. But then I started thinking about how lonely it would be with all the family gone and I backed out. I always loved going down there and still love the mountains. Thanks for sharing your trip!! The pictures were wonderful
Donna, so nice you got to spend time with your dad and then later with your mom too. I'm sure Jack enjoyed being in Virginia again.
Love your blog.....time seems to go by way faster than it used to.....so glad you & your dad made the trip....what great memories.
Loved the pictures.. It was so neat you were able to take a trip with your dad what a great memory. We all spent my birthday in the smokies everyone was able to come for a week.We had so much fun the kids love being together. Sure Jen will put up some pictures. Tell everyone hi. I do check your blog often miss seeing all of you.
Post a Comment