Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Big Hewa ! (a/k/a mistake)

When recently in CA. with our oldest son's family and my mom (Marty Wampler) we were out at a Pumpkin Farm and decided to go out to eat. It was determined to eat at a local resturant in town that Phil & Carola had gone to on their anniversary. They said it was great, reasonably priced, Polynesian food, called "Duke's" right on the beach in Malibu. Since we had a big group we thought it wise to call them to see if there was a wait and if we could make reservations. Carola looked up the number on her cell phone- the name of the resturant (logo) and dialed a toll free number and handed the phone to me. I started asking questions- first the price range- they asked me if I wanted casual dining or more upscale- I said do I have to decide now? What kind of food do you have? - They said, lobster and fish. Hmmm...
I then said- well we're on our way now and will get there soon (abt. 6:30 our time) the lady said:
well we don't open for abit yet so you have plenty of time- I'm thinking that's strange- we only have like 15 minutes to get there and it is fairly late now. Then, she told me it's only 3:30 and I'm straining my eyes to see the clock in the car and thinking is it me? Then I finally asked her- where are you located?

Then finally the kicker, she said:
----- WE'RE IN HAWAII -----






Everyone in the car had been quiet to that point and when they heard that the group erupted into laughter - we're going down Malibu Canyon, and this Duke's is in Hawaii ! I'm sure the lady thought what a basketcase- I tried to tell her in between laughs that, No - sorry, we would not be coming and hung up the phone. We did reach our final destination and to our relief - did not have to wait long and the food was good and it was an HAWAIIAN RESTURANT - Duke's in Malibu !

6 comments:

Philippe said...

Great post and Duke's rocks!

Unknown said...

haha wow!

audrey said...

haha that's way funny. typical Thompsons... i like the pic of IZ

The Thompson Family said...

That was too funny!! I can't believe we called Hawaii...I guess I'll have to wait for my phone bill to see how funny that really was. ;) And Duke's does rock dude! haha

Smith Family said...

Too funny! Haha! HeeHee!

missliss5/Melissa said...

That is freaking hilarious!